The State of Well Planned Life


I have been blogging for about three and half years, which just floors me.  Who knew I’d have so much to say about planners, and that people would be interested in what I have to say for so long!  I have enjoyed every minute of it and am very grateful to have readers at all, let alone faithful readers.  Thank you!

I’ve been thinking about this blog a lot lately.  I love writing, love blogging, love this blog, love Philofaxy and the community that surrounds it.  I have “met” some wonderful people, people who have showed more support for me than some people I see on a regular basis, and some of the people here I have never met face to face.  I have met some, however, and it was like meeting up with old friends even though it was the first time I saw them in person.  In one case, I have created and cultivated a very close relationship to the point where we see each other every year and talk daily.  These relationships have come to mean a great deal to me.

When I started this blog, it was specifically meant for writing about Filofax planners and anything to do with those planners.  I have run the gamut of being happy with my set up to being extremely aggravated over the options available to me.  Whatever the case, I always figured it out because I wrote about it, got support, comments, and suggestions, all of which helped.

However, since finding the compact binders, I am very happy with my set up (for the most part) and am finding that I don’t have a great deal to discuss where Filofax is concerned.  It’s amazing how much fodder for writing angst will give a person.  Plus, I have a ton of other topics floating around in my head that I would like to discuss here.

With all of that said, I am changing the direction of this blog slightly.  For the most part, the content will stay the same—I will still discuss planners and Filofax in general, as topics come up.  I will keep some series posts (Filo on Location, for one).  But I will also be adding new topics and/or expanding on some that I’ve been doing all along (posts on music, books, anything else that comes to mind).  Specifically, I’d like to expand on organizing posts.  While I absolutely love planners, my real passion is organizing in general, and as I am in the middle of doing many different organizing projects at home, I’d like to write about them as I finish them. 

In essence, the focus of my blog will change while keeping the content the same—it won’t be so much Filofax-specific but will be more generalized for anything organization related, as well as discussing things that I love and am interested in.  With this, there will be a bit of reorganization to my blog.  Some of the labels on the sidebar will be consolidated and renamed.  Some widgets and links will be reworked.  It probably won’t look much different, but to me, it makes a difference.

Some bloggers will say that every blog needs a niche.  I tend to agree with this as a starting point.  However, to me, the point of a blog is to write about whatever makes you happy.  And while my “niche” is organization as a starting point, I see no reason why I cannot write about whatever happens to be in my head on any given day.  I could start a second (or third) blog, and I actually considered it.  But at the end of the day I only have time to write one post a week (as much as I wish I could write every day), and having to keep up with more than one blog would mean that one would suffer while the other prospered (where posts are concerned).  So I’m sticking with this one.  Besides, I’m happy with the way it looks and the content here.  I didn’t want to lose any of it.

I hope all of my followers and readers will continue to read what I write.  I enjoy this blog immensely, the community as a whole, and reading comments left by my readers.  I feel it’s very important to interact with each and every one of you, which is why I always comment in return, if only to say thanks for taking the time to comment.

I have a ton of ideas for future posts, and I look forward to writing them and hearing what you have to say in return.  I hope you enjoy the slight turn this blog will be taking.

Comments

  1. WHEW!!! You had me nervous - at the beginning I thought this was going to be a goodbye post.

    SO glad to hear that you aren't going anywhere, and can't wait to read your "expanded" posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! Didn't mean to scare you. Good to know that you would be sad if I shut it down though. Makes me feel loved. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this idea! You were the person who got me into Filofax, and, like you, I am quite happy with my compact binder (can we say...perfect?!). Then you sparked another transition with your post on iPhone "reminders" a few months ago. Since then, I have been using my phone instead of my planner for my shopping and to-do lists. I was beginning to think I needed a bit more than one long list and voila...you bring us Wunderlist!

    You have been my friend since college, and your organizational skills have always something that could not be rivaled, they could only be something to aspire to. I followed you to library school, I followed you to your blog, and I will continue to follow you as you expand your postings to share your wonderful, insightful, and humourous view on the world and everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila, your comment is way too kind! I'm not sure that my organizational skills can't be rivaled, though I do like that idea. ;-) I'm glad you're excited though, and happy that you'll continue to read. (Because you know, I know where you live, and will stalk you if you don't read my blog, lol.). Thank you for your kinds words roomie!

      Delete
    2. Well, perhaps there are others in the Philofaxy community who are on par with you, but no one I know personally is as organized as you! I am so excited to continue reading your posts, and that's not only because I don't want a stalker! :-)

      Delete
  3. Sounds good. Look forward to reading future posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Now if only I could manage a post a day. Sigh. :-)

      Delete
  4. New to the community and to your blog I already am excited to see where you take it. Now must go through back posts. Hehe - Cheers Sunshine - Love Blair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Blair! Thanks for your comment. I hope you enjoy both my past and future posts.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a great new direction - I love your blog and look forward to your thoughts on expanded topics! (So glad you weren't going to stop blogging...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Claudia! I'm excited too. I can't wait to get writing. I'll still blog about planners, but I'm also happy to expand what I write about. Hopefully, I'll never stop blogging, I love it that much!

      Delete
  6. I love your blog, and am looking forward to seeing all your posts, ot just about planners. I am so glad that you didn't decide to do a separate blog. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, LJ. Yes, I'm hoping to write about a ton of other topics, which I sort of did anyway. But I always felt the pull to talk about planners since that was the purpose of the blog to begin with. And while I still love planners and writing about them, I'm looking forward to exploring new topics as well.

      Delete
  7. Ooo well have fun, that's the most important thing! Can't wait to see your new posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millie! Yes, it's not worth it to blog if it isn't fun. And for me, the fun part is writing, whatever the topic, so hopefully I won't disappoint! :)

      Delete
  8. This is exactly what I did with my blog. I wrote only about sewing, and then I lost all interest in it and thought maybe I need to start a new one?And then decided to use what I already have! And started to post about FF!;) I lost one subscriber since then, but well, this is my blog and I have to follow my heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I haven't lost interest, just ideas maybe, lol. But even that's not accurate. I do still have ideas, they just seem to come further apart these days since I'm fairly happy with my setup and because it hasn't changed in a while.

      But I do think we change and grow as bloggers/writers as we ourselves change. So expanding on new ideas and topics are always good! :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment