Keeping Faith: A Filofax Sighting


One of the first paragraphs of Jodi Picoult’s Keeping Faith goes as follows: “I do not like surprises.  I live by lists.  In fact, I often imagine my life like a September loose-leaf binder—neatly slotted and tabbed, with everything still in place… To this end, every day of the week has a routine.”

My first thought was, Wow, could this be me?  But no.  I do in fact like surprises (like new planners!).  The story doesn’t relate to me at all except that the main character is very orderly and neat.  The story is about a little girl who seems to be experiencing stigmata.  The book asks the obvious questions: Is she?  Isn’t she?  Can you prove it?  Can you disprove it?  Is her mother causing the bleeding hands?  Will she lose custody?  Is there some sort of crime involved?

I liked the book well enough, but it wasn’t one of my favorites of Picoult’s.  There are others I like much better.  But I thought the topic was a great one—one that could be discussed at length.

But the best line of the book is this: “Metz folds the leather binding of his Filofax.  ‘I’ll be here.’”

Yay!  A Filofax mention! 

But folding the binding?  I certainly hope all that refers to is that he folds it open, as opposed to folding it back.  That would indeed be a crime!

Comments

  1. What a wonderful post! I truly enjoy when I read a Filo mention or better yet, SEE a Filo out "in the wild".

    I haven't read anything from Jodi Picoult for several years, since my daughter saw one of her novels in the stack of library books and innocently commented that tears and waterworks are on the menu the night I read that one...

    I hope he was folding it open! We must be kind to our Filos, as they pretty much run our lives. I know mine does!

    Again, wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! Yes, seeing filos out in the wild, is great! I don't often see them in person, so I have to make mention of them when I see them in movies or read about them in books.

      I have read almost everything by Jodi picoult - there are a few more I need to get to yet. I'm currently reading her latest one, a young adult novel she did with her daughter. It's a different kind of story for me, but I'm really enjoying it!

      Delete
  2. I think I need to re-read "Keeping Faith" just for the mention of Metz' Filofax!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly there was no other mention of said Filo. Too bad!

      Delete

Post a Comment